Sunday, July 3, 2011

36; Star Spangled Eyes








Top: DIY • Vest: DIY • Shorts: Crystallized Vintage (Ebay) • Boots: Etsy vintage • Shades: the equivallent to a flea market • Jewelery: flea market, antique shop



This is the most partiotic outfit you'll find me in for the 4th of July. I never saw it as a 'big deal' sort of holiday, but that could just be leftover cynicism from my youth when my mom would get super patriotic to the point of ridiculousness. Stephen Colbert would tell her to tone it down a little. It was only because her parents were in the Navy (it's how they met) so she felt a sense of obligation pride whenever anything related to 'fighting for our country' came up. I always enjoyed the fireworks part, but that's about it.

However, the past 4th of July I celebrated was pretty enjoyable for me, as well as this one. Yeah, you read right. See, in this town, we celebrate it the weekend preceeding with a parade, which arrives at the local park, where a day long festival is held. Local vendors arrive to sell anything they can offer, and at night, it's where the fireworks happen. This took place just yesterday, where I bought these sunglasses and that ear cuff you see. In total I bought three pairs of shades. (For five bucks. I'm serious.) I also bought that cream coloured crystal necklace and three quartz pieces that I plan to make necklaces of. I spent a total of $1.50 on the quartz pieces. DIY makes my life so much affordable and enjoyable.

Kathryn and I spent time with her sister Sarah and her friend Molly for a while, then Kathryn and I went home for a bit (we both worked earlier in the day, and with fireworks not happening for a few hours, we went to go lay down and eat) and got a ride back to the park for fireworks.

We also all got airbrush tattoos. No one managed to get a photo of mine, but it's of a bull skull in that sort of surfer-chic style. (EDIT: turns out a friend of mine snapped a photo of mine, so I'll be posting it.) Kathryn got an elephant (she's very into elephants and the Hindu god Ganesha). It's super adorable, and I got tons of photos of hers!

 







And because I'm cool like that, I'll bring you a little pre-4th cheer:






Have a happy 4th, you crazy kids. ♥

10 comments:

  1. love!,

    www.styleinsmalltown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 4th of July!

    Thank you for your comment on my blog and for stopping by in general, I really appreciate it! I'll reply to your email in just a second!!

    Hope to hear soon from you!


    Love,

    Rock 'n Love
    http://www.rocknstyleblog.blogspot.com
    http://twitter.com/RocknStyle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh great outfit! I love the vest and DIY shirt, it would be perfect for attending summer music festivals :)
    We share the same feelings towards our countries respective holidays (except I don't know anyone who gets overly patriotic about Canada, it's something we seriously lack lol) but I do love fireworks, and parades! However, The only festival we got was a legalize marijuana one :T not really family friendly

    Great post!
    xoxox
    http://mini-crini.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really fond of these tattoos, is yours the one with horns? Forgive my stupidity:))

    Your hair tends to distract me so often, with its super glossy healthiness. It eclipses everything else with its awesomeness, seriously! But I love the length of the fringed top in relation to the shorts, this is so perfectly done, for me. Looks like you had a wonderful time there, too.

    And now I need to find a DIY alternative to topshop. This would really make my life so much easier, and a trillion times more original and affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ArtandGhosts;

    It's not stupid at all! Mine is the one with the horns, yes. (It's actually very faded by this point, which makes me sad...but it was fun having it around, because I'd been toying with the idea of getting a tattoo kind of like it but with feathers hanging from the horns, because I'm so fond of the southwestern style, as I spent much of my life in that area of America.)

    I'm actually really glad to hear that my hair looks healthy. :) It used to look really dull a couple of years ago!

    If you need any DIY inspiration, I can link you to a couple of blogs (or blog posts) that really help me out when I feel the need to make some of my own stuff, if you'd like. Some of the best pieces I've ever seen have been surprisingly simple DIY projects.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really do love the tattoo, and it does seem very 'you' if that makes sense.

    And thanks for offering the links! I actually do more harm trying DIY than avoiding it, but i can always practice! I so wish that i was skilled with such things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy 4th of July to you too! I love your outfit, so much! Great top and shorts and of course your earrings are amazing! Love your blog and now following! Maybe you'll have time to visit mine:)

    Kisses,
    Annabelle
    http://vivaluxury.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. pretty blog! :)

    If you want come to me:
    www.miikax3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely blog!

    If you want come to me:
    www.miikax3.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, I adore your outfit. It's got just the right amount of patriotism (I'm not much of a patriot myself, but I'm always up for any occasion to dress up). That badass vest is amazing. The studs on the shoulders are beyond cool.

    xoxo
    Em

    ReplyDelete